You can travel cheap...if you know how...My bf lives on the East Coast, I'm on the West...needless to say, we've gotten pretty good at finding cheap plane tickets. Here are a few of our key tips:
- By late...prices seem to drop 3-5 weeks prior to the travel dates. I know this can be scary but if you can take the chance, take it, it could save you a bundle!
- Search constantly...prices can change dramatically in a heart beat, especially in the middle of the night and early morning.
- Buy low, buy quick...don't think about it! Once I saw tickets for $222 roundtrip and I waited an hour..boy did I regret it when they went back up to $350 as I was purchasing them!
- Shop on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays...this tends to be when airlines put tickets on sale.
- Travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays...historically these are the cheapest travel dates.
- Check nearby airports...you may be surprised how much you can save by driving an hour, but keep in mind the cost of gas and possible parking fees.
- Sign-up for frequent flyer miles...my brother travels home for free from Nebraska to Cali often through his Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card. Frequent flyer memberships are free, so why not join?
- Check out additional fees that may apply, like luggage. Most major airlines allow a free carry-on item, but if you need more luggage, it's usually around $25 per bag each way and I've heard they are going up for some airlines.
- BE FLEXIBLE! Traveling a week or even a day later may save you a load of cash!
Fri Feb 15th - Mon Feb 18th - $490
Fri Feb 22nd - Mon Feb 25th - $397
Want to go in June instead? Try taking one extra day off work and save $200:
Tues June 11th - Sat June 15th - $660
Mon June 3rd - Fri June 11th - $463